Friday, September 25, 2009

QUESTIONS

What is the proper thing to say to an 88 year old Mother that is beginning to forget some of the things that have been such a vital part of her very independant life. She still lives alone and cherishes her freedom and usefulness to the family.

Mother: "I've forgotten how to use my sewing machine". She was referring to filling the bobbin and threading the thread through the machine.
Me: "Well Mother you have to write everything down. That's what I have to do. " I said this in truth. The meds I'm on have really played havoc with my thought process. However, Mother doesn't really have a full picture of my condition and it's just as well. I wouldn't want her to worry.

What can I say that will give her some comfort. She is hurt by her loss of memory and ability.
I can't bear to see her hurt. WHAT CAN I SAY ? ? ? WHAT CAN I DO ?

3 comments:

  1. The best thing to do is be there often for her and patiently remind her of the things forgotten. It is important for them and all of us to know that we are loved and still have a purpose. Gentleness and lots of hugs go along way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a scary situation indeed. God be with you both.

    ReplyDelete